Prudential plc is an international financial services group with operations in Asia, the US and the UK, Continental Europe and Africa.
The management of environmental issues is an integral part of controlling the risks faced by our business. Overall responsibility for approving and reviewing our Environmental policy lies with the Prudential plc Board. It recognises that as an international financial services business one of our most significant direct impacts on the environment is from the operation of the properties we occupy. Therefore we have this policy to manage these impacts and work to promote sustainability and environmental awareness at all levels of decision-making relating to our operational property portfolio.
This policy statement applies to the operational property of all Prudential Group companies. It takes into account the differing environmental legislation and standards under which our companies operate globally.
Our Environmental Core Principles
We believe that employees have a role to play in achieving our environmental goals. Our Environmental policy is underpinned by two core principles:
- Comply with environmental legislation and standards to which the business is subject; and
- Communicate this Policy to all employees in order to raise employee awareness of environmental issues and to encourage environmentally responsible behavior.
Our Environmental Commitments
We commit to:
- Comply with local environmental compliance obligations as they relate to our operational premises;
- Implement risk management systems and procedures that assess the environmental impact of our operations and seek to prevent pollution.
- Support and encourage the implementation of energy, water efficiency and waste measures into the facilities we occupy and promote waste minimisation, re-use, recovery and recycling.
- Encourage our suppliers, contractors as they relate to premises, to adopt good industry practice in environmental performance and where appropriate, collaborate with them on environmental schemes and initiatives.
- Raise awareness and encourage and enable our staff and tenants to make a contribution towards achieving environmental improvement when occupying our premises.
- Take into consideration environmental matters in the planning, property and lease acquisition, development, refurbishment and decommissioning of our buildings.
Measuring and Reporting on our Environmental Performance
We will monitor and review our environmental performance against our environmental principles and commitments set out in this policy and the reporting requirements set out in Table B of the Group Governance Manual.
On an annual basis we will report our environmental performance and review this Policy to ensure that is remains relevant and appropriate.
Group Chief Executive